Knowledge saves lives! As dental professionals, we are in an ideal position to detect signs of potentially fatal eating disorders in our patients, and participate in secondary prevention, in order to improve outcomes. This presentation provides an overview of eating disorders and their early warning signs, plus insight into the psychological aspects of eating disorders. It includes recommendations for in-office care, and oral health counseling to minimize complications and damage to the hard and soft oral tissues, in order to keep patients pain-free, and improve quality of life. Communications strategies are discussed, which could facilitate disclosure and early medical referral.
• Recognize the oral and systemic warning signs of eating disorders
• Discuss the pathogenesis of eating disorders
• Discuss the psychological and social factors
• Describe an evidence-based oral care protocol for patients with eating disorders
• Improve communication skills
disclaimer, bio and commercial disclosure