Recognize current concepts in dental caries, dental erosion, dentin hypersensitivity and periodontal disease. A major emphasis is given to the changes in paradigms and treatments trends recently occurring in the cariology field. Topics included are: contributing factors to dental caries (historical and present perspectives), role of oral biofilms, caries diagnostic, caries management, role of fluoride, role of calcium and phosphate, contributing factors to dental erosion and dentin hypersensitivity, role of inflammatory response in periodontal disease.
• Recognize changes in caries concepts and how those changes have affected caries treatment trends
• Identify caries risk factors such as unbalanced diet, poor exposure to fluoride, poor saliva and a cariogenic biofilm
• Know caries diagnosis methods for early caries detection and early intervention
• Discuss the role of fluoride and calcium and phosphate in the remineralization process of the tooth
• Describe the main factors associated with dental erosion and dentin hypersensitivity
• Recognize the role of the inflammatory response in periodontal
disclaimer, bio and commercial disclosure